Sunday morning campfire breakfast included pancakes on the griddle, scrambled eggs and peanut butter and jelly. :)
Then we headed to Mount Rushmore. All the kids (and I included) were very excited to see the faces. They kept talking about it and it didn't let us down.
they are amazing!
Lauren was exhausted at this point with basically no nap for 2 days so she wouldn't allow me to watch the entire video of how it was all constructed but I did hear that 90% of the carvings were done by explosives, not by hand. That fact amazed me. They are so perfectly carved that I just assumed it was all done by hand...not the case.
our best attempt at a family pic
And this is why I don't hand my camera over too often for someone else to snap a photo of us. If you don't know how to focus my camera, it's basically useless. The trees behind us are perfectly in focus but us...not so much! :)
After Mount Rusmore and a failed attempt at nap time (our tent was 100 degrees...it was brutal), we headed to Flintstones Bedrock City. This was at our campground. Super cheesy but the kids enjoyed it and the campsite was super quiet which was nice.
train ride
my boys!
and my girl
the train stopped for photo opps with old school props
of course she needed a turn, but wasn't tall enough :)
Fred and the boys
checking out the Flintstones house
Lauren hauling the "criminals" away
there was a little show that the kids found pretty entertaining
The real Fred and Barney showed up after the show. The boys wanted nothing to do with them but Lauren walked right up and gave them both hugs. I forgot to change the settings of my camera so I totally blew out the lighting on the shot but still had to post it.
the parks at the campground were totally old school; teeter totters, merry go rounds, huge metal slides. the kids loved them!
dinner time and s'mores
being silly
The next morning we headed to Rushmore caves, gorgeous views along the way
a little blurry inside but taking a pit stop to listen to our tour guide
We had a wonderful vacation. Lauren slept 3 hours of the 9 hour ride home. They all traveled amazing and are looking forward to another family vacation next year. If anyone has any suggestions within 10 hours (or so) from Minneapolis let us know. I'm not sure they could handle much farther than that.













































No comments:
Post a Comment