Sunday, October 2, 2011

Another 1st...

I can't say I was excited about this 1st, but we took our first trip to the ER last night. I got home from babysitting around 11:30, laid my head down for bed and about 2 minutes later Will started crying. I was just going to let him cry a little and put himself back to sleep until I heard him wheezing and gasping, along with a REALLY barky cough. I ran in there, grabbed him out of bed and immediately knew he must have croup.

We wrapped him in a blanket and took him outside because the cold air is supposed to open up their airways and let them breathe easier. After about 20 - 30 minutes he wasn't doing that much better so I called my pediatricians office and the doctor on call called me back immediately. He could hear Will in my lap and said I needed to take him to the ER. (wonderful...it's now 12:45 AM)

The ER at that time of night was interesting to say the least and apparently croup isn't high on the priority list because we didn't see the doctor until about 2:15. He looked at him for about 20 seconds, diagnosed croup, said he didn't need breathing treatments but instead they gave him a steriod shot to reduce swelling in his airways for 72 hours until the virus can pass.

Hopefully that means no more middle of the night wake ups becuase it scared Mommy to death. Will was quite the entertainer at 2 AM, flirting with all the nurses and exploring everything.


I'd be ok never having to take the boys back to the ER ever again!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I am glad he is okay! I love that he flirting with the nurses at 2 am!! LADIES MAN!!!

    ReplyDelete