As most of you know, Will tested positive for a peanut allergy last summer. They wanted me to bring him back this summer to re-test although they didn't have high hopes he would "grow" out of it considering only 20% of people grow out of peanut allergies (other allergies have much higher percentages, like in the 90%).
We headed back today because I figured my summer would be a little busy with baby girl arriving and I didn't want to forget to take him in. Well it was a HAPPY DAY!!
this is his back...they do a positive and negative test to ensure he reacts like normal and then the mark on the bottom is the peanut scratch. You can tell the reaction to peanut looks identical to the reaction to the negative...meaning he's not allergic!
We are getting a blood test done tomorrow to confirm the results as apparently neither test is 100% accurate. If he passes the blood test then they will do a "food challenge" in the office where they will give him peanut butter and watch for any sort of reaction.
Wish us luck that the blood test and food challenge go as well as today did. I would LOVE to not have to worry about this going forward.
I did ask the allergist if I should do anything different with baby girl, maybe wait longer to expose her, but he says, it doesn't matter when they are first exposed. In his opinion and studies, either the child will react or they will not no matter when first given.
No comments:
Post a Comment